The charge of my iPhone (3GS) was fully drained. I tried to charge it with the USB cable from pc and external ac adapter. Even i tried to charge it from a portable charger. but nothing happened. I haven’t faced such problem before. i’m using iOS 4.1 and baseband 6.15. is there anyone who can help???
After sending couple of days with this problem and googling, I found some solutions. One worked for me I hope these solutions will be helpful for those who are facing the same problem.
iPhone not charging – How to fix
1. Restart your iPhone
The simplest step and fixes the iphone not charging issue for most of the people.
The steps are:
- plug in the charger
- press home and power button for few seconds until it restarts
It might solve the issue in most cases. (didn’t work for me though!)
2. Clean and retry
If the above step don’t solve your problem of iphone being dead and not charging, now it’s time to try out various ways of charging. But before that clean your charger as:
- Blow (with air from your mouth) gently the charger wires both end.
- Blow and clean the iPhone charger socket.
- Blow the computer / laptop’s usb port
- Blow clean the wall charger usb slot
Once you have cleaned your iPhone charger and all slot ends do this and check for charging:
- Connect the iPhone via usb charger wire to your macbook / laptop / usual computer (try both usb ports)
- If the above don’t work, connect the wall socket charger
- Try connecting to another computer or laptop via usb port.
Also try turning off the iPhone and then charging (it helps in most cases – provided that the charger is not defected)
3. Cross test iPhone
If none of the above ways work, then finally try using your currrent charger and iPhone charger wire with some other iPhone (any friends iPhone or at the shop) to confirm that the problem is with the charger and not the iPhone.
4. Change / remove sim
Try charging after removing the sim card or replacing it with another sim card (of some other network preferably) and see if it solves the issue.
5. Charger and charging wire
If you can’t get another iPhone to test your charger, then anotheralternate could be trying a new charger wire before buying a new iPhone battery or an iPhone itself!
This is how it will go:
- Goto the shop to get a new charger, but before that, ask them to let you try it on your iPhone. You can ask them to let you use any in use charger first to confirm if the problem is with the charger wireand not the iPhone itself or its battery.
- If you have or can try out, then find a car charger for iPhone 3G/3Gs (also works with 2G). This is the way that i tested and solved my iPhone not charging and only showing the battery cell when connected to charging. I put the the iPhone on charger with the car charger for iPhone and press home + power button which lead to full black screen from the previous battery and power sign. After some 10 minutes i pressed the power button and the Apple logo appeared! voila!
- If you finally find out that the different charger is working for your iPhone, then definitely buy a nice charger and you are all good to go! (you can ask me if you need a new charger (simple or car charger for iPhone) in Pakistan (islamabad/rawalpindi specially). Can ship internationally too but might cost you abit more.
Update: One thing that i just noticed is that once the iPhone starts charging from other charger (car charger) now it also works fine with the previous supposed broken charger too!
6. Change the battery
If none of the above ways work for you, then one option is to change your iPhone battery. Please note that while doing this make sure that the person doing this is skilled in this job otherwise you will have to buy a whole new iPhone as in next step.
7. Buy a new iPhone
Hopefully your iPhone not charging and battery depleted error will be solved by these troubleshoot steps. This might not only work for iPhone ( 2G/3G and 3Gs ) but also Apple iPad and iPod.